Witney gazette dating
Henley, Local Government Inspector, was also present. Henley, chief inspector of the Local Government Board, who had visited the workhouse, referred to the satisfactory provision made for the treatment of harmless lunatics in the house, and expressed the opinion that an allowance should be made by the County towards their maintenance.
This was probably his last visit, and he took that opportunity of saying that he had never had any cause to call in the interference of the Local Government Board during the whole period it had been his duty to visit that union.It was a beautiful house and kept in excellent order.He thought the Guardians had every reason to be satisfied with its condition.He did not see how with one staircase in each wing these people could be got to.It generally happened in a workhouse, as in other places, that fire broke out in the basement, and that the smoke and flames rose to the upper story, preventing people coming down.He had told this man that it was cold weather, and that as he had a covering he was better provided than those who had to work regularly out of doors for their living.
If the man had been a blacksmith accustomed to working in a warm place perhaps he might find a covered yard cold ; but if the Guardians were to provide warm cells that would be providing a luxury, and it would not be a wise thing, to do. Henley congratulated the Guardians on the state of the workhouse.
The workhouse matron at Newchurch in 1856 was Mrs Richard Ashworth. He thought it would be of advantage if, in the future, the Guardians had under consideration the provision of extra accommodation, that some day rooms should be provided, so that the dormitories might be cleared of their patients, who were able to be removed, during the day.
In 1864, the Haslingden Guardians asked the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway for permission to place collecting boxes at local railway stations, so that which travellers could donate discarded books and periodicals. Haslingden dining-hall and rear of main block from the north, 2001. A block at the north-east of the main building contained the board-room and porter's lodge. Haslingden original infirmary from the north-east, 2001. Haslingden, like all workhouses, was the subject of periodic inspection by the Local Government Board. No doubt the small rooms had originally been intended for day rooms, but necessity had required their being turned into dormitories, and it was most desirable that the latter should be cleared out during the day.
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] Haslingden had a town workhouse situated on Spring Lane dating from 1749. He thought it would be an advantage if some sheds wore put up in the yard, so that the patients could be under cover, when taking exercise.
It could accommodate up to 150 inmates and in 1837 its governor was Henry Rothwell who received a salary of £14 a year. This, he thought, would induce them to get into the open air, and in hot weather and rough weather it would be better to have a covering for their heads.
The only thing he would recommend was that in the female wards they should put a division between the beds, as was done in the men's, for they gave the vagrants beds, a provision which he heartily commended, but according to the regulations there should be divisions, so as to prevent people tumbling over one another.